Cloud hosting services are basically specialized platforms that allow users to easily scale the infrastructure behind the website or application without requiring a dedicated IT department. The well-known cloud hosting providers in the market typically offer an arsenal of powerful features that can provide you with improved control, flexibility and capability to handle increased traffic effortlessly. Additionally, these cloud hosting providers will make it simple for you get your website running without spending a lot of time on the configurations and server setup anymore.
Why use cloud hosting?
Cloud hosting will take away all the hassle of setting up as well as the management servers. It is replaced with automated features along with a variety of highly convenient tools. It is easy to scale the power behind your application by dividing the load among a number of virtual machines and allowing you to create extra instances of your application.
Considerations when choosing cloud hosting services
At the present, you can find several cloud hosting providers in the market. If you are planning to use this service, you might have a hard time finding the right one. One way to make the selection process a lot easier is to take note of certain considerations.
- With the features, it is best to determine the tools every cloud hosting provider offers when managing the structure behind your application as well as the service add-ons such as third-party application integration and tracking.
- Cloud hosting should have the ability to scale rapidly, particularly when gaining a large number of signups or visitors. It is important that your server can handle it. Flexibility is also a vital factor that can cater to your specific needs such as programming utilizing a specific language or delivery of large static assets.
- The cloud hosting should be easy to use. Majority of cloud hosting providers create their platforms to be readily available and simple to use as well as requiring minimal technical knowledge on running your application on their infrastructures.
- Help and support should be readily provided in case you encounter issues. It should include documentation along with FAQs and tutorials.
Important tips on cloud hosting
With cloud hosting, it is available in three types – Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS). Cloud hosting providers allows you to choose the type of service that you want. With PaaS, it involves renting everything except the app which is often utilized by the app developers while SaaS involves renting only the app. As for IaaS, it involves renting only the tools and hardware which is the preferred option with enterprises and startups.
Top 10 popular cloud hosting providers
We will now take a look at the most popular cloud hosting providers so that you will have an idea on what they have to offer. The selection provided can also help you decide which cloud hosting you will choose.
- Heroku is considered as the leader when it comes to PaaS. It stands out due to its outstanding flexibility, ease of use, numerous third-party service integrations and add-ons as well as a comprehensive feature set.
- Amazon Elastic Beanstalk offers services from Amazon’s web service in a single package. It makes the deployment of web applications simple without configurations. It is packed with impressive features, flexibility and scalability.
- Windows Azure has 3 main divisions – IaaS, PaaS and web hosting. This cloud hosting stands out due to its outstanding infrastructure, varied feature set and excellent customer support.
- AppFrog basically bills you for using the virtual server where you are given an allotted space and RAM that you can use with the platform of AppFrog. It is well-known for its third-party service integration.
- OpenShift works by utilizing the PaaS instance, thus allowing you to deploy a code to a specific number of cartridges. Every cartridge is dedicated to run the code to a specific part of your application. It is compatible with major web languages such as Python, PHP, Java, Ruby, Node.js and Perl.
- Engine Yard is a new platform for deploying PHP, Node.js and Ruby applications.
- Google App Engine is ideally for Java and Python applications that are built on the expansive infrastructure of Google.
- CloudBees focuses only on Java as well as other languages that utilize Java runtime, making it the ideal resource for applications in Java.
- Acquia is a specialized PaaS that caters specifically to businesses with websites running on Drupal. The pricing is based on the hardware usage.
- VMware enables enterprises acquire either private or public cloud.