What is a Shared Hosting Plan?
A hosting service where a number of websites are hosted in a single server is called a Shared Hosting Plan. This means that all the resources of the shared server such as bandwidth, space, database, FTP accounts and email accounts are shared by a number of websites hosted by that particular server. In fact, there is no definite number of websites that a single server may host, the number could be in the tens, or the hundreds or even in the thousands. This sharing of the resources of a single server is the very reason why shared hosting plans are offered at affordably low and cheap prices.
Aside from the resources mentioned above, you are also made to share with the computer processor, the memory and the maintenance costs of the server.
What are the benefits of Shared Hosting Plans?
Shared Hosting plans bring along with it a lot of benefits . Among these benefits are the following:
- Shared hosting plans comes much cheaper compared to dedicated hosting and VPS which means that even websites for personal blogging and small businesses can afford it. Shared hosting plan prices are usually offered with prices ranging from $3 to $10 per month.
- The administration and maintenance of the server is taken cared of by the hosting provider which means that you don’t need to concern yourself with technical issues of the server.
- You don’t need to posses any special knowledge in website and server administration as the hosting provider takes care of the administration chores.
- You get to be provided with a cPanel or other user-friendly application that are designed to make website management easy.
- You get multiple email accounts at your own domain as well as the option to have more than one database.
- You get MySQL and PHP support.
- Although a number of websites share the same resources, most shared hosting plans provides for a round the clock supervision, maintenance and technical support that gives you uptime reliability almost comparable to dedicated plans.
What are the drawbacks of Shared Hosting Plans?
Despite the number of advantages that shared hosting plans bring to their clients, it also has its share of disadvantages. These are the common disadvantages of shared hosting plans:
- The biggest disadvantage of shared hosting is the security issues that the server faces.
o Shared servers are usually prone to hacking attacks.
o Any malicious activity that the server suffers affects the whole network of websites using the server.
- As you need to share the resources of a single server, your website my often experience sluggishness brought about by the request for resources by other sites.
- You may experience resource limitation as everybody else in the network uses the same CPU, memory and hard drive.
- Server may get swamped by requests or overloaded which might cause it to stop.
- Your hosting plan may have lesser features compared to dedicated hosting plans.
- You do not have the choice over the software and application that you want to use as you cannot use any other software aside from what is provided by the hosting provider.
- The customer support may not be as good as those of dedicated plans.
- Because of security policy, some available port and connections may be limited.
How much does a shared hosting plan usually cost?
One of the biggest advantages of shared hosting is that it is relatively cheap. Hosting prices usually vary from a low of $3 per month up to $10 per month. What is important is that never choose a hosting plan because it offers the lowest price available in the market. Make sure that you choose a plan that offers good features with a good customer service.