A domain name is used to identify and determine the location of computers and resources connected to the Internet. Understandably, there are no two businesses or organizations that have the similar domain name. Every organization and company who wants to establish a presence online should register a domain name that will be used as their online identity or name that clients can use to access the online services that they are offering, such as the email or website.
An overview on domain names
Every domain name corresponds to a numeric IP address. The IP address typically has 14 numbers in between 0 and 255 as well as separated by periods. The Internet utilizes the numeric IP address in order to send data. The Domain Name System is responsible for completing the task of matching the domain names to the IP addresses. Always remember that the domain names and corresponding IP addresses should be unique. In case there is a similar domain name, it can lead to confusion when the network attempts to identify and communication with the computers in those organizations. The Domain Name System is best described as a collection of databases that is comprised of information regarding domain names and their respective IP addresses.
Structure of domain names
- Domain names are arranged starting right to left along with general descriptors on the right while the specific descriptors to the left. These descriptors are known as “domains”.
- The levels of domains are divided by periods.
- The top level domains or TLD is positioned to the far right of the domain name. The mid-level domains are positioned in the center.
Find the right domain name for your website
Searching for the ideal domain name for your website can be a difficult task for some. The potential domain names you are considering are already taken and you could no longer come up with a unique one. It is a known fact that domain names are vital and an essential part of your site, thus it is imperative to look for a domain name that covers specific points.
- The domain name should be easily remembered. With this in mind, it should be short and concise. If you are going to use a long domain name or one that has dashes, it might be difficult to remember. Visitors who do not bookmark your site will never find it again since they could not remember it.
- The domain name must be easy to spell out. If visitors cannot spell your domain name accurately, they end up in another site or a blank page.
- The domain name should be optimized for success. Make sure that you will register a domain name that includes recognized keywords so that you can gain a step ahead of the competition on the search engines. Always remember that the search engine rankings are essential in attracting new visitors to your website.
- The domain name describes what your website is all about. A lot of individuals commit the mistake of buying a domain name that is either the company name or personal name. With this approach, it will not attract visitors to your website. Make sure that the domain name simply describes what you plan to do with your website.
What if my preferred domain name is taken?
Finding the right domain name can be disappointing, especially if your first choice is already taken. This is applicable if you plan to use popular names and end up with a narrowed list of options that is far from the domain name that you want. Nevertheless, if the domain name that you want is already registered, it does not mean that there is no other way. Just be prepared to spend more and it is worth the cost to acquire the domain name that you truly want. You have to bear in mind that some individuals register popular domain names in bulk and sell them at a higher price. If you want to know if a domain name is for sale, all you have to do is to type the domain name in the browser and check if there is a website linked with it. If there is a regular page that contains content, it is not for sale. In case there is no page linked with the domain, you might have a chance to purchase it.