What is the basic difference between buying your own server and reseller hosting?
Buying your own server means that you have to purchase all the physical infrastructure needed including the software needed to run your hardware while reseller hosting means that you simply have to buy the services of a web hosting provider and then resell the services to end-users without the necessity to purchase a more sturdy and powerful hardware for your hosting needs other than perhaps your laptop or personal computer. Another basic difference between the two is that with buying and owning your own server, you shoulder the total responsibility of setting up your server from the processing of the necessary permits and other licenses up to the actual managing, running and making sure that your server is up and running for a maximum uptime while with reseller hosting, the hosting provider company is responsible for keeping the site up and running, giving you more time to focus on the customer management side and perhaps minor troubleshooting tasks.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Reseller hosting?
Reseller hosting has a lot of advantages as well disadvantages. These are some of them:
- Reseller Hosting is cheaper and could bring handsome profit. Reseller hosting clients purchase the bandwidth and storage at a wholesale cost, which means that they enjoy the freedom of keeping part of full profit from the resale.
- Focus on marketing and management side – Most web hosting companies offering reseller accounts provide full technical support as well as administrative, maintenance upgrade tasks to their clients which mean that resellers can focus more on the marketing and management side of the business.
- Reseller plans are bundled with a large tool selection that simplifies the process of hosting and reduces the time spent to address the needs of the end-users.
- Resellers have complete control over their resources which means that they have the freedom to create their own plans to sell as well as decide on its prices and bundled features.
- There is a need to resell the bandwidth and storage space that you’ve bought in order to earn profit which means that you need to be adept with marketing and business strategies and practices.
- You share the responsibility, if not shoulder the major part of it, with the provider in dealing with your clients’ needs and concerns. This means that you need technical know-how in order to provide support for your clients.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of buying your own servers?
Buying and having your own server brings a lot of benefits as well as drawbacks to the owner. These are some of them:
- You have total control over your hardware and your data. You do not need to be limited to the limitations set by a hosting company since you have total control over the power of your hardware, the operating system and the server OS you prefer to use as well as the size of your storage.
- You enjoy the freedom to build and run your own choice of services. You get to decide what you want to run in it
- You can configure your server the way you like it to be and that should stay as it is until you decide to change the configuration.
- It is costly and expensive considering the hardware, software and network requirements.
- It is exhausting and time-consuming.
- You need technical know-how and how the internet operates.
- You need to pay for the ISP business account.
Which is the better choice, reseller hosting or buying your own server?
There is no direct answer to the question of which is better between the two. However, the answer depends upon your style of hosting, that is if you want total control over your hardware and software, and total management freedom and has some capital to spare, then go for buying your own server. But if you want to start a business with less capital and less technical requirement, then reseller hosting is for you.