Have I got what it takes to run my own web hosting company?
Before your even start thinking about starting your own web hosting company, you have to ask yourself whether you have what it takes to run your own company. As a reality check, web hosting is not an easy business to manage and run and neither is it a get-rich-quick scheme. You need to consider whether you have the financial capacity, the time and the patience, that is aside from the hardware requirements and the technical know-how and perhaps, ideally, a background with Computer Science.
What should I do to start a web hosting company?
While it is true that starting a web hosting company could be quite expensive, it is also true that it is possible to start you own hosting company by purchasing space and services from existing web servers which mean starting your company at a much lower cost. Of course, you can always opt to choose the more expensive option but let me share to you how to start your own web hosting company at a much lower cost, which is with reseller hosting.
- Choose your preferred platform – either choose between Unix and Windows.
- Choose your preferred Control Panel – As Control Panel functionality varies from the very simple end user functionality and Administrative features to the more robust billing and branding capabilities.
- Choose your preferred reseller hosting provider. – This is most vital since your company will be only as good as your chosen reseller hosting provider.
- Set up your hosting plans and its prices. – It is ideal not to offer too many plans but limit it to a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5. Make sure that your plan features and prices are competitive against other companies and that it is enticing to your would-be clients.
- Make your own business website. – Create a site that speaks for your customers needs rather than flaunt on what you can do. The message should answer the customer’s question of what is in it for them and how you help solve their hosting needs.
- Make your business e-commerce ready – To accept payments, you should set up the following and make sure that your service provider supports these features:
o SSL certificate
o Merchant Account
o Payment gateway
- Help Desk setup. – This is to assure that there is way for your clients to communicate with you regarding their support needs.
- Set up your client billing. – Select a client billing software that is integrated into your control panel system.
- Create a welcome email. – The welcome email is an email that all new client signup will receive.
- Finally, website marketing. – Advertise your website.
What features do I need to look for in a Reseller Plan provider?
An ideal Reseller plan provider that should have the following features that is included in their plan. Try to look for the following features:
- A 24×7 live phone support;
- A stable platform and a rich control panel feature;
- Value for money account features like bandwidth and disk space flexibility;
- A good company track record and reputation; and
- Experience in web hosting.
How much do I need to spend to start my own web hosting company?
The amount you need to spend to start your web hosting company depends upon whether you actually want to put up your very own web hosting company, which could mean a significant amount of money, or you simply want to buy a reseller hosting plan. If you choose to start with a reseller hosting plan, the amount would then depend upon the plan you choose which usually ranges from around $1,800 a month to around $6,500 a month.