Back in 1969, UNIX started out as a small and limited operating system. Throughout the years, it developed into a featured-packed operating system that is utilized by many businesses and companies for everyday business operations. Even though Windows is the preferred option among desktop computer users all over the world, UNIX is capable of running computers utilized in various functions such as electronic commerce, management of phone systems and even the Internet.
History of UNIX
As an operating system, UNIX was initially fabricated in Bell Laboratories back in 1969 by a group of programmers who were working on a computer that was formerly ignored for some time. This tinkering resulted to a new operating system that was written in the C programming language, thus making it highly portable among various computing platforms. At the present, there are several vendor varieties of UNIX such as AIX, POSIX and HP-UX. Always remember that Linux is a UNIX-compatible operating system that was written by Linux Torvalds. It was specially designed for the x86 Intel chips which were considered the most commonly used processor on both laptop and desktop computers.
Uses of UNIX
It is a known fact that UNIX is the ideal platform for utility servers particularly DNS (Domain Name System), Web servers and DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). It boasts a streamlined architecture that is capable of preserving the resources for the applications that you are using instead of utilizing them for booting the operating system. With UNIX, it can provide you with a stable and safe platform for applications that do not need direct interaction with the operating system.
Advantages of using UNIX
By opting for the UNIX operating system, there are a number of advantages that you can gain. It is important that you are well aware of the benefits that you will enjoy if you will choose UNIX.
- UNIX can provide you with a highly efficient level when it comes to the virtual memory. It simply means that you can utilize several programs while at the same time using only minimal level of physical memory.
- You are provided with a variety of utilities and commands that are specially designed to perform specific tasks. With a properly stocked toolbox, UNIX can handle tasks flawlessly.
- UNIX is readily available for different machines. It is considered as a highly portable operating system since it can be used on either PC or Macintosh computers or other computing machines as well.
- As an operating system, UNIX offers the capability to run various commands and utilities in diverse configurations in order to perform complex tasks.
Drawbacks of UNIX
Just like with the other operating systems out there, UNIX has its own share of drawbacks that you should be familiar with.
- The interface of UNIX is command-line based which makes it difficult for casual users. It is a known fact that UNIX was created to be used by programmers. There is a graphical user interface (GUI) available but the traditional UNIX interface is available as command-line only.
- Due to the productivity of the utilities of UNIX, it can be too much to handle for novice-users. UNIX is not a simple operating system, thus it is not suitable for novice users.
- The special commands needed by the command-line interface typically involve perplexing naming schemes and do not provide enough information on what the user is doing. Understandably, majority of the commands used in UNIX entail the use of special characters where minor mistakes can cause unanticipated results on the UNIX machines.
With the disadvantages as well as the benefits clearly explained, you have to decide carefully whether the UNIX operating system is suitable for your needs.